|Sitting for prolonged hours is dangerous ..|
You may have heard the statement "Sitting is the New Smoking!" When I first heard this saying, I thought it was crazy. Sitting is NOT like smoking.
Here's the problem: we sit an average of 9 to 10 hours a day. So we sit more than we sleep. We sit more than we stand or do any activity.
We sit in our cars. We sit to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We sit to work. We sit to watch TV. We sit at the movie theater. We sit at the dentist's office. We sit everywhere.
What's the problem with so much sitting?
1. Because blood flow slows down, you increase your risk of heart disease.
2. Your insulin is negatively affected by just one day of sitting 10 hours a day.
3. Sitting increases your risk of cancer, for reasons we're still speculating about
4. Perhaps it's the antioxidant processes that are engaged when we are in movement.
5. Sitting compresses your body, slowing down digesting, leading to cramps, heartburn, constipation and bloating.
6. Brain function slows down when we sit
7. Your brain gets less blood and oxygen.
8. Because of the above, mood worsens.
9. Posture gets worse, leading to strained neck and shoulders.
10. Your entire body degenerates when you sit 10 hours a day
11. Standing requires tensing of the abdominal muscles.
12. Sitting leads to weak abs, leading to mobility issues.
13. Varicose veins develop.
14. Your bones get weaker.